press_office_heading.jpg (5861 bytes)


All Headlines


Archive News

This page features the latest news for Eastbourne. Find out about Britain's best resort below.
Eastbourne Town FC Final Flurry
16 April - Eastbourne Town 4 Sidley 1 - Away
Three goals in five minutes coming toward the end of the match away at Sidley United on Monday Evening were enough to wrap up all three points for visitors Eastbourne Town, and moving them to within a point of leaders Whitehawk for the Sussex County League Championship Title.
Opening exchanges were about even with each side trying to unlock their opponents defence.
Town suffered an early setback when Gary Brockwell was forced to leave the field following an injury sustained in a collision with an opponent. He was replaced by Wilf Holman.
Sidley eventually opened the scoring in the twenty ninth minute when McDonald left his marker for dead and cooly slotted home past Nessling in the visitors goal.
Town were stung into action and several attempts followed without success before just on the stroke of half time a cross dropped at the feet of sub Holman who cooly picked his spot with Sidley's keeper Newstead unsighted.
Honours even at half time summed up the game and continued so throughout the early stages of the second period.
The game cried out for a special piece of approach work and in the 75th minute it arrived in the shape of Greg Manton.
He seized on a ball in midfield and with the ball at his feet continued past two defensive tackles into the area before drawing Sidley keeper Newstead and firing low to his left into the far corner.
With Sidley now forced to attack in an effort to get something from the game gaps started appearing and Town were quick to capitalise. Within two minutes Dallaway and a Sidley defender were forced to attack a cross from the right and sweet as a nut the ball looped up off their feet over the head of Newstead before dropping into an empty net for Town's third of the evening.
Dallaway turned in triumph claiming the effort before being subbed for Millroy who almost immediately cracked in a superb cross following good work by Simmons and Piercey down the right.
Sidley were now reeling and another fine through ball again found Millroy who fired in a penetrating low cross that ended with Baitup getting the final touch to fire home Town's fourth from amid a mass of legs.
It was pure exhibition stuff from Town after that before the referee blew the final whistle.
Town's next match is away at Church Road, home of Chichester City United on Saturday with a 3pm Kick Off.
Before that, Eastbourne Town Reserves have a local derby against Hailsham Town Reserves at the Saffrons on Wednesday Evening with a usual 7:45pm Kick Off
20 April, 2007

Send To Friend