towards the Italian Gardens at Holywell
away below Helen Gardens at Holywell are The Italian Gardens.
These unusual and secluded lawned Gardens sit in a wooded
amphitheatre carved out of the cliff face just yards from
Holywell beach. The hollow in the chalk cliff face is due
to the Garden's former use as a chalk quarry.
stopped after it was discovered that the excavations were
polluting a nearby pure water spring which was essential
for the town's water supply. The Council converted the quarry
into the Gardens in the winter of 1904/5.